ABSN Requirements for Admission
The Marian University Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) program was created to help people enter nursing as quickly and directly as possible. However, the 16-month accelerated program format is rigorous and challenging to complete successfully, as it contains the same amount of information traditionally covered throughout a traditional four-year degree program.
To ensure our students have the academic foundation to complete this program, we have established a set of ABSN requirements that anyone must meet before applying or enrolling as a Marian ABSN student. These requirements include eligible previous degrees or completion of a set number of non-nursing college credits, a standard for minimum cumulative GPA, and the completion of prerequisite courses that contain necessary topics in science and math. Read on and learn more about Marian’s ABSN requirements.
Marian’s accelerated nursing program is for motivated individuals who want to transition into a nursing career quickly. There are two admissions pathways for Marian ABSN: second degree and transfer. To be eligible for our 16-month ABSN program, you must meet the following requirements:
AS Health Sciences Program Transfer
- Completed at least 30 non-nursing college credits
- Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Second-degree students (Indianapolis and Nashville locations): Completed previous baccalaureate or graduate degree from an accredited college or university with a cumulative GPA of 2.80 or higher.
- *Transfer students from AS in Health Sciences (Indianapolis location only): Cumulative GPA of 2.80 or higher with completed AS in Health Sciences.
- All required prerequisite and general education courses successfully completed with letter grades of C or higher.
- Science credits or transfer equivalents — chemistry, anatomy, physiology, and microbiology — must have been completed within seven years of admission to Marian University.
- Application completed in full and submitted on time.
- Proof of English language proficiency (survey provided upon application).
If you cannot meet these requirements, we still encourage you to apply. Your application may be eligible to be reviewed through an additional process, which may require further action.
*Completion of the Associate of Science in Health Sciences (ASHS) degree satisfies prerequisite courses for the ABSN program.
Qualities of a Nurse
We also seek students who have a true compassion for others and are ready to learn from an institution based on Franciscan values. Marian ABSN students will learn how to embody the power and importance of holistic care, which views the whole patient beyond their symptoms alone and focuses on treating the mind, body, and spirit. Plus, it is our belief that every great nurse is:
- A good listener and communicator,
- Highly empathetic and patient,
- Extremely detailed and organized,
- Level-headed in high-stress situations.
Talk to an Advisor
If you believe you have what it takes to succeed in our accelerated nursing school, we recommend speaking with an admissions advisor as soon as possible. Our staff will be able to tell you about the structure of the program, the time commitment involved, and the full scope of the application process. After an initial conversation, they can help you lay out a roadmap for success and support you through the process of becoming a Marian ABSN student.
Contact us to learn about our ABSN requirements.