Keeping up with an accelerated nursing program can be intense, especially if you’re balancing family and your personal life. You’ll need to put in some serious study hours in order to stay on top of your course work, while also making time for clinical rotations and your other responsibilities. As you progress through Marian University’s Accelerated BSN program, it may be harder to find large chunks of time to study at home. You’ll likely have to fit your studying into small pockets throughout the day, so keep this list of nursing student study tips for when you’re on the go.
If you have family and prefer to study at home in between getting dinner on the table and doing laundry, be sure to check out these tips for studying at home.
But maybe studying from home doesn’t work for you – it can be distracting and stressful to work with a house full of people or undone chores. Or perhaps you’re constantly on the go and don’t spend enough time at home to crack open a book for studying.
Whatever the reason, it will serve you well to be prepared to study whenever and wherever your day takes you. Here are tips for finding and creating your perfect study environment on the go.
Make use of the small breaks in your day.
Sure, long and uninterrupted study sessions are sometimes necessary to master material, but putting in five minutes here and there can really add up over the course of a week. In fact, repetition is key for information retention. Make the most of your precious time by using the short breaks of time throughout the day to your advantage.
Whether you’re in line at the grocery store or waiting in the pick-up line at your child’s school, here are a few tips to prepare yourself for studying during breaks in your busy schedule.
- Flashcards – Make flashcards of important vocabulary or concepts to keep in your car or purse.
- Textbooks – Keep your textbooks accessible for reading. Many texts are available for download onto your mobile devices, so your books will never be out of reach.
- Talk it out – Sometimes the best way to learn something is by teaching it. Talk through tricky concepts out loud to yourself in the car or get a helpful friend to lend an ear.
Convert your commute.
Nursing students are constantly on the go, so make the most of your commute. Multitasking is a great way to study, but safety is key, so use these tips wisely while on the road.
- Audio textbooks – If you drive to work, consider downloading your textbooks in audio form. You might also be able to listen to faculty lectures, or even record an audio version of your own notes.
- Carpool with friends – Not only is this an eco-friendly option, but it’s also a great way to maximize your study time. Grab some friends from your nursing program and quiz each other along the way.
- Take the bus – Or an Uber. Sure it’s an added expense, but if you’re really pressed for study time, it could be worth it to knock out a solid study session during your commutes.
Find the perfect space for your study style.
If you do have the time for a longer study session but prefer not to work from home, you can create an ideal study space in public places around the city. In fact, a change of scenery can work wonders for productivity.
When deciding on the best places to study away from home, first consider your study style. Do you like noise? Or do you require silence? Do you like other people to be around, or do you need a place to yourself?
Starbucks isn’t the only study option – there are all kinds of great study spaces around the city, especially in these Indianapolis neighborhoods. You can try the local library or bookstores if you prefer a quiet place.
If you like some bustling around you, try out a café or one of these healthy places to eat in Indianapolis. Most of these establishments will have high speed Wifi access. If it’s nice outside, grab a book and flashcards and hit your nearest park or greenspace.
You may want to bring along a few supplies to create an ideal study environment. Don’t forget to pack these essentials:
- Necessary study materials and writing utensils
- Your favorite study music and headphones
- Plenty of healthy snacks
Marian University’s Accelerated BSN is a big commitment, but with these nursing student study tips you’ll be able to stay on top of your coursework and succeed at your goal of becoming a nurse. If you haven’t already spoken to one of our advisors and are ready to take the next step, call 866.892.6463 today to get started.